Monday, October 1, 2012

Last weekend I did a herding clinic at my friend Sally's in Nashville(herding at Sally's).  We try to do these monthly as it seems to help those repeat offenders. More consistent help and scheduled time to work dogs.  Unfortunately some months, neither Sally or my schedules allow this.
I enjoy doing these clinics, working with different dogs and people... I have a couple of views about clinics... Not every dog/handler team learns the same way.  Sometimes its better to recommend different clinicians.  Even for those repeat "offenders" I think going different places and to different teachers is good, though with most people I will recommend trainers with a similar philosophy and methodology.
When I started doing the clinics I was uncertain about doing them, as I did not know if I had anything to offer.  As I go along, I realize a consistent instructor and structure helps introduce people and gives them an opportunity to learn.  I have learned so much about working with and teaching people and dogs. Every team is different, and learn at different speeds and from different activities. I do get frustrated when I can not help someone make progress, and feel like I am spinning in circles.
The reward is seeing light bulbs come on for both dogs and handlers.  Those ah ha moments, where things start to fall in place.
Some of my favorite successes are dogs who, the first time they walk in, do not see the sheep.  And by the end of the weekend are fetching the stock, and learning to balance.
We are fortunate at Sally's that we have access to video and at lunch we rerun the morning sessions, and discuss good or bad things that happen.  One of my attendees brought a wonderful sound system, so for the larger clinics I use a wireless mic, and everyone can hear what I say to the person I am working with. (I do have to remember to turn it off and on).  The other training tool (one which I have rarely seen)- having novices work my trained dogs, learning to walk backwards, turn and push the dogs out.  My little Lizzy is great for this, as she will work on the flight zone when she is good.  However if the handler keeps making mistakes she will cheat- a reminder of what a green dog will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment