Monday, October 8, 2012

Last weekend we attended ASC of MA's Whiskey Creek Stock trial.  A great trial in a wonderful location. I entered Tommy in Post Advanced cattle and sheep, as well as both arena trials on Saturday...
Though I was really pleased with what we accomplished, and where he is now, I also realize that we need more mileage. (We qualified all but the first duck run, earning finals points for most of our runs. He now has his PATD sheep and cattle titles and a open farm trial mixed leg)
Post Advanced was the start of the weekend... A big field with panels off the fences and a little more distance than the minimum arena. The big challenge with Tommy is getting him to hold a line and push stock away from me.  30-40 feet is ok, but that farther he gets, the stronger the desire to bring them back is.  The other issue I have is the away flank, as for some reason he feels he needs to come back to me.  Fortunately he is a big running dog (who loves to run and can cover lots of ground). He also covers well and has a good out so I really don't worry about loosing stock.
So- need to keep working on that walk up (push away).  We have been doing this during morning chores... The sheep desperately want to come back to the pen for their "breakfast" and Tommy has to push them back out to the pasture or hold them off the gate. Hoping the consistency of this pays off.
We also kept having an issue during the cross drive.  I would give him the flank to push the stock back to the fence, and he would go to far/to head.  I am grateful to Rachel Vest for pointing out that I needed a short flank command, as when I would give the "go by" he would go all the way to head.  (I have it, I use "go" for the clockwise short flank, just was not using it when I should have).
We had a very hard time with ducks. They needed a very precise line dog, the slightest over flank and they would change directions. It was interesting watching Tommy try to figure out how to work them.  He actually did some really nice work, just was not consistent enough.  He was watching pressure and trying to figure out how much and when.
Even though it was in the rain, we had a great time doing the mixed farm trial (sheep and cattle).
In all a productive weekend, and not planning on trialling again until the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment