Sunday, October 21, 2012

Not as planned

Today was another day. Rio was as awesome, and just as easy as yesterday. Worked outruns- all good, nice square flanks, covering heads, did some nice shorts drives. Wow...
Heater was off- he was looking for the fun. But he did some nice fetching, a little driving. We did work on stops and downs. As well as holding sheep to me.
My session with Dari changed from what I intended. Started asking her to hold the sheep to me in the open (off the fence).  She kept pushing, and would not settle.  She also kept stopping short on the "away" side.  So worked on covering with a fetch.  Again she would not cover the ewe who kept trying to go past me.  She also was not taking the away flank.  Spent my time working on going "away".  She finally did cover.  Then I backed in the corner and let Dari "figure it out".  She would push too hard and the "bad" ewe would spurt out.  Though I can control her (she really has a nice stop and down), I want Dari to learn self-control.  She needs to learn where to be.

Bug and Rango got to help Lizzy and Lin with chores.  All was ok, until I tried to sort sheep out of the pen (or atleast get all but 5 sheep out of the pen. ) I fear that Rango is not going to be invited to play much more.  Bug can use the mileage and confidence building.  Rango needs to learn when and where biting is appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment