Saturday, October 20, 2012

A good training session

Much of my time is spent doing chores and tending sheep. Though this does the dogs much good, every so often it helps to spend 5-10 minutes training.
So this gorgeous morning that is what I did. With limited time available, I decided to work Heater (a friend's dog that I am training), and my 2 18 month old hooligans, Rio and Dari.
After we finished morning chores, Tommy and Lin helped sort off 5 likely volunteers, and we drove the large group to the agility field.
I chose Heater as my first. My goal is to get some advanced titles on him (and hopefully WTCH him)
If he continues progressing as has been over the last several sessions, it should be an attainable goal. With him, the first challenge was getting him to work for me. It took a couple of months before he would work for me. Then I had to convince him that working the stock was a job, not a chase game. Once he settles, he works quietly, responds to pressure nicely, balances. He has a good bit of obedience, so getting the stays, stops, downs just takes reinforcing them. We are starting to name flanks, as he consistently responds to body/stick pressure.
My sheep are nice training sheep. They will fetch or drive. So I decided to start a little driving. Fortunately he did not fight it, and fell in rather nicely. In all it we had another successful session.
Rio was my next very willing victim. We started by taking the ram and 3 wethers to the neighbors back field. He really did not like the idea that they were going to come out of their stall. But we successfully moved the boys, and I realize I need to do take pen/lane work with Rio.
Then we worked with the 5 ewes. Working Rio is like working a fine tuned sports car. He is very controlled and deliberate. Will do nice wide outruns (with help), great sense of balance and rate. We did work on some driving. And to keep the "fun" in I asked him to hit the heels! I think it helps keep the push, and like being able to ask for it when needed. Rio is very controlled, with a hit then backs off. All natural.  I do need to work on his get around/outrun. So that he consistently gets everyone. He will fall in before finishing getting around.
Last was the quick Dari. With her I need self control. She has a good stop and down. But everything is fast/push. When she starts thinking, she will rate, but it's getting the dog to think. Her outrun is more consistent than Rio's!  So we did fetching, and holding them to me, I wanted her to stop on her own.  Once she began to stop herself the rest of the fetching became easier. We also worked on off balance flanks, stopping different places on the circle, and even a little driving. As with the other 2, I ended their sessions with outrun/fetch. Then Dari got to take the small group to their buddies out front.
The young dogs sessions were probably under 10 minutes.
Tommy got to do the grazing. After having to get the sheep out of the bean field, a blind outrun, and no handler assistance, he got to do the tending.. It consists of a good bit of off balance work, and standing around watching. Tommy has become a very useful dog.
In all a productive morning!

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to have so many dogs at so many different levels to work. Keeps you on your toes as a handler. Can't wait to read about Bug and Rang's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear young Rango needs supervised sheep time. When I bopped him with the paddle (keeping him from splitting and bitting) he did not miss a beat. He did respond and get behind the sheep.

      Delete