Monday, October 1, 2012

Fun moments from the weekend...
My friend Karen and her excitement when her Aussie Motley successfully spotted/held sheep for Charlie the border collie.  Karen and Mot made some progress, and are becoming more of a team!
Sally's Secret, whose motto is "girls just have to have fun" making it through with minimal yehaws.  Secret is one of those dogs, who can be soooo good, and then sooo bad. When she works well, it is a beautiful thing to watch.
Brit the boxer, and how well she can work.  She is/will be a challenge as she is one of those dogs who does not do well with rote training and repetition. So will have to figure out level appropriate "jobs".  She does have a nice out, sense of balance, as well as bringing the stock off the fence and out of the stall.
I try to work my dogs also.  I brought the babies (3 month Rango, 4 month Bug) out, and let them 'work" work with Dari.  It is fun to see them watch the sheep more and more.  Both of them are happy to balance the sheep to Dari, and are watching heads.
I worked Dari some.  At 18 months she is working on fetching (balancing, pushing out -though she really does work off the stock, lots of turns).  Then we also work on flanking on command and off balance flanks.  She will free flank around me when asked, and is doing a nice job starting to drive.  (A couple steps at a time)
Tommy spent much of his work time backing up other dogs, holding stock and just doing work. This is wonderful for working on patience and self control.  We also worked on driving.  He is entered in a post advanced trial next weekend, and I hope he will push the stock that far away from me, as sometimes he looses confidence pushing them at a distance. I just keep reminding myself, its all about mileage and confidence.  Just be patient.  There are so many things he does so well..

And dats all till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment