Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thinking about training and working dogs...
Most of what I have been doing with the dogs is chores and grazing sheep (tending/keeping them in certain places).
Chores are good as there is a daily routine. The challenge is not always using the go to dog, even though it is easier, as the others need to learn the routine and understand that working stock is not just fun and games.  Of course I have to be ready to step in and help the younger dogs do the job correctly.

Grazing is also good at many levels. It teaches patience. Just laying still, watching, waiting for the need to work, for a turn.
I often work dogs in pairs, so the dogs need to learn to honor each other. One dog works the other waits.  At times I need the two dogs to do different things.  This can be quite challenging, as my dogs all want to do what I ask.  Again, learning to take their command.  (I use name then command in such situations)

To make grazing easier for me, I need a dog to take off balance flanks, and to stop where ever I ask them to.  This is rudimentary driving. It teaches/enforces flexibility, and requires the dog listen to commands. With Tommy, I expect him to take verbal commands (same for Lin).  With the young dogs I help them with body and stick.  The dogs learn the task, keeping the sheep in a certain spot.  And will react to the sheep on their own, bringing them back to that spot.  They also seem to understand the point of containment, much more so than driving.
With puppies or very green dogs I do everything with a fetch, and initially a stop on balance.

When I have time, I enjoy sitting outside watching the sheep.  Its even more fun with friends and their dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment