Monday, October 22, 2012

To drive or to fetch, that is the question

To drive or to fetch, that is the question. 
Seems to be a reoccurring topic, when discussing training and working dogs.
I have my thoughts, influenced by various teachers/mentors and of course by my own experiences.
First and foremost, I want a dog who watches heads, who controls where the stock goes. I want the dog's default be to bring stock to me. For practical work, this makes a world of difference.
I have seen some really great heelers, precisely hitting those heels, keeping the cattle moving, but without fences controlling the path of the stock, or much mechanical control of the dog, this can be bad when the stock runs off.
Some dogs are so hardwired to fetch, whether through unfortunate experiences in early work and training or because it is so genetically ingrained to control heads and bring them back to the person. (I have had some really easy dogs to teach to drive, and some who were very frustrating) Through patience and consistent training, most dogs will learn the task, particularly if real tasks are incorporated into training. Activities like penning, pushing off feed or gates, working lanes, all help reinforce any off balance/driving work. (grazing/tending sheep is also helpful, as it does include stopping off balance.)
The dog has to learn that he can control the stock even when driving, and that taking the stock away is the proper and desire action.
Though it helps to have dogs with consistent flanks before driving, I start driving sooner. I'm not consistent on my flanks, how can I expect such from my dog. However I do off balance flanks, coming around me to get to the stock, when I am ready to start driving. I will even do off balance flanks in a small pen/take pen.
I set up outruns where the dog has to come out and around me before getting to the stock, I also stop the dog at different points.
Much of driving is just mileage-for handler and dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment